Chuck Norris is a man (some would argue he is an alien) of world renown. While his name rose to prominence in the film industry, he is first and foremost a living martial arts legend. Later, thanks mostly to the Barrens chat (blessed be those enlightened), he became a cult figure in the world of Azeroth. With his real name! This is still to be achieved by another (human) being. Then the Chuck Norris facts came into existence. Soon it all went viral and today the facts are believed to be beyond even Mr Norris's control (pardon this blasphemy!).
On a more serious note, there are some little known true facts about this remarkable person that make distinguishing them from the fictional stuff not so straightforward.
1. Be warned - this is not for the faint of heart! Reader discretion is advised!... Chuck Norris didn't always have a beard.
2. Chuck Norris is NOT undefeated. He has lost 10 bouts, no less and no more, all in the early stage of his martial arts career. Then Norris stepped up his game and has not lost a single fight since 1968 (except for in Return of The Dragon and The Game of Death movies, where his character loses to Bruce Lee's character). Chuck Norris's lifetime Karate record is 183 wins, 10 losses and 2 draws. He won the USA Professional Middleweight Karate tournament for six successive years: 1968, 1969,1970, 1971,1972 and 1973.
3. Chuck Norris is not Chuck Norris's real name. In his case “Chuck” doesn't stand in for Charles either. His actual name is Carlos Ray Norris. In fact, it wasn’t until he joined the Air Force that Carlos became “Chuck” Norris.
4. Chuck Norris was stationed in South Korea during his time in the Air Force and that's where he first got into martial arts and Tae Kwon Do in particular. He is among very few foreigners to receive an 8th Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do.
5. He has five children, one of whom, a daughter, was born from an extramarital affair that he once had. When he learned of her existence she was already 26. Nevertheless, Norris immediately accepted and acknowledged her as part of the family.
6. Chuck's younger brother Wieland got killed in action in Vietnam (1970). This inspired Chuck to make a series of films (Missing In Action) dedicated to the Vietnam War.
7. Chuck Norris's youngest brother Aaron was behind the camera as director of some of Chuck's best known on screen performances.
8. Chuck Norris is a devoted Republican and supports the 2nd Amendment (to do with legal gun ownership).
9. He created a martial art style named Chun Kuk Do, which means “Universal Way”.
10. He is a best selling author who has written at least four books. Norris is also a syndicated columnist.
11. Chuck Norris often sparred with Bruce Lee. In his book - The Secret Power Within - Norris describes how he once knocked Bruce down with one of his trademark kicks. Bruce Lee then studied Norris's technique to perfection and adapted it to his fighting style.
12. He had his own line of jeans - “Action Jeans”. They allowed for superior mobility, making it possible for Chuck to roundhouse kick two bad guys at once. “Action Jeans” were crotch-rip-resistant too.
13. He was a spokesman for the World of Warcraft series.
14. The Official Chuck Norris Fact Book was written by none other but Chuck himself, released in 2009. Who is to say the man doesn't have a sense of humour!?
15. Chuck Norris hails from Oklahoma, not Texas, and is of partly Cherokee Indian descent.
16. He taught Karate to Steve McQueen, Bob Barker and Priscilla Presley among other celebrities.
17. Chuck Norris is an outspoken Christian. He's even been in a TV commercial promoting Bible study and prayer in public schools.
18. Chuck Norris is older than you might think.
19. He is by default in better shape than you.
20. Chuck Norris is Number One!